Waves and Flips - A quilt for the beach*

A quilt on the beach???
Quilts are wonderful gifts to memorialize special occasions, like heading off to college. I have beautiful nieces (well- stunningly gorgeous, smart and sweet nieces) and I wanted to acknowledge Morgan's graduation (Valedictorian no less!) from high school with a quilt to take away to college - for anytime hugs, being warm and generally reminding her of how much she is loved. I had expected her to choose her school colours but she loves the beach, and beach colours.

Off to shop for fabric (what a hardship) in beach blues and whites... with some hot pink flamingo's thrown in for fun. DH even went to a quilt shop to pick a few FQ's for me.

I had decided that a Turning Twenty (Tricia Gibbs Turning Twenty - "Twisting Turning Twenty" would be an easy way to play with multiple fabrics and the light/dark angled rows could resemble rolling waves.

I am very happy with the results.

Machine quilted on my Brother 1500s - swirls (click for a closer look)
 I wanted to simulate the essence of the waves as they roll, fall and crash to shore as well as the flips and swirls of Morgan's amazing talent in flips and somersaults in Cheer.  I can barely keep my eyes on her she moves so fast - up, down, over her head, under and over again. I found a variegated thread with the same colour feel.

Turning Twenty: beach colours with a few Flamingos for fun

I was able to send it to her in October so it is happily covering her bed.
Home away from home.


The next project is a quilt for an equally amazing nephew! He has finished college and starting University at the end of January. I have to get a rush on it!

* Quilts should not be used on the beach....pretty well...never...

Comments