Hope and a funky log cabin quilt

A sewing day was worth a vacation day, or is it that a vacation day is worth a sewing day. Hope, BC is a wonderful starting place;  whether you are starting a new life or a new quilt.
I started with these fabrics:


Quite a few of these wonderfully happy fabrics were purchased at a quilt shop in Hope, BC. One of the strips is actually a print from Roisin's whimsical line of textiles - paper air-planes. My stash is built on mini collections of fabrics purchased on special occasions or while travelling. I knew that there would be a great project ahead for them, and tucked them safely in a zip-lock baggie.

Roll forward a few years and DD#2 is telling me a romantic story about her friends. He is a car fanatic and these cars need some TLC to keep running. She is a very, very  patient sweetie - lucky him. Good thing that he realized this. So, after purchasing a car in Vancouver, and planning to drive it home to Ontario, he put a plan in place.

As they drove through Hope, BC he pulled over, the engine was not behaving as it should. He sent her to the trunk to get a wrench, or a screw driver, or whatever; but there was a plan afoot. He proposed to her,. He thought that becoming engaged in Hope would be a wonderful way to start their lives together. Awwwww.

So, when DD#2 shared this romantic story with me, I knew that the stashed fabric from Hope should end up becoming a quilt for their first baby. Now the baby is on her way, and the quilt needed to be made.

The quilt is made of 4 log cabins blocks, with 3" strips. I then cut these in half vertically and horizontally. I played around with the possible variations and decided to put them together like this:





I managed to design, cut, sew, assemble and quilt this over 2 days (forsaking all other activity except sleep) so that I could give it to the happy "Mama to be so that the special new baby has a loving and fun place to play, live, sleep and grow..

I love this happy quilt, and I am happy that these saved stash fabrics made it into a quilt that is based on Hope.

Comments

  1. what a beautiful story! I am sure they will treasure it forever

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit!