Resolutions and lists

The list vacation is over. The Christmas list broke the fast. I have been carefully considering the build of my new list.
I have been carefully considering the life-enhancing, paradigm shifting, full of promise list that is known as  "New Year's Resolutions". I know that I want to accomplish more. Not to be more busy but to have more completed results from all that activity. I am exploring the phenomenon of multi-tasking.
Many of the articles I have read lately, as well as discussions where I have lingered along the edge have worked hard to convince me that multi-tasking will make me less efficient. That by eliminating the multi-tasking and single tasking I will accomplish more in less time. hmmm.
Should I consider the time that I spend waiting (for a call to be completed, waiting  in line for service, waiting for a train, waiting for my mother to complete her shopping, for a show to start, for the kettle to boil, the commercials to be over...) free time to browse the email that my friends send? One of the beauties of my BB is that I don:t have tobe  frustrated while waiting - I can just pick up a line of conversation with a friend. [FYI my BB is not work-issue and no work related emails will be found there]. Is this considered to be evil multi-tasking or a good use of captive time?  I'll choose the BB browsing and thumbing to be a good way to spend that time that is otherwise being spent out of my control.
So where else would I be multi-tasking? knitting while riding in a car, having a cup of tea with a friend, or watching TV. I think that sounds life enhancing and not stress inducing.
Other multi tasking? Cleaning the bathroom while I am waiting for my hair to dry; letting the washer and dryer run while I am at work, asleep, spending time with my honey or relaxing in a bubble bath.  Anyway, I am not decided about the multi-tasking thing but I do know that  there are times when only dedicated attention will lead to success. Like, snuggling with the Sweetie, cutting pieces for a quilt, listening to a friend's problem, being at work. I guess that there is a time and place for mutli-tasking and for dedicating attention to a task.

Back to the resolutions, managing my weight in the 150's orjust below if I can get there. This includes thinking about good health habits such as trying to go to bed before 1 AM, enjoying the best chocolate, increasing my level of physical activity and being honest about portion sizes (except for chocolate of course).

Keep the home fires burning. It is always good to have a warm, welcoming, happy home. Enjoying the time at home, sitting and chatting with my honey, preparing good food.

Give my best to my efforts - at work, at home, with those I love, doing what is needed and following through to "done"

Release the art from my heart. For the last few years I have chosen to work through many traditional techniques and even following specific patterns so that I could better master techniques and skills. I am ready to explore the creative freedom in textile play again.

Finish 6 quilts (gotta deal with those UFO's and the stash)

Over the last 5 or 6 years or so I have chosen a motto to guide me through the year. This year it is "FOCUS", I want to narrow the target so that I can dedicate my energy, my activity and my thought process to achieve a greater success.

P.S. Roisin gave heads up to this great give away at Jenna's blog, see January 8 post. Greys can be so beautiful!

Comments